Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Today's Fun Facts

So yesterdays dust storm was pretty awesome. Apparently it was among the largest in Arizona history. It was something like 70 miles wide and went anywhere from 3-4000 feet in the air with 35-60 mph winds, it was pretty crazy indeed. It went from a pretty decent day to black in just a few min, and it didn't clear up until after dark. This is what I learned from the storm...I called it a dust storm and Stephanie promptly corrected me, so I added ..."The Monsoon" to the title. Then, on the news, they called it a Haboob, so I corrected my error and changed my title to ..."The Haboob". Anyways, a haboob is an intense sandstorm common to arid areas of the world. Monsoons are associated with rain, and we didn't get the rain. So I learned something new.



Haboob circa. 1930.....the dustbowl

Haboob circa 2011....crazy dust storm

I think I know just a little bit how they felt during the dustbowl. -George

3 comments:

Unknown said...

that explains it! what a wild storm...yikes!!!

Casey said...

Ugh I swear those happened in Rexburg every summer.

McKenzie said...

Wow....does this happen often?